Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yummy Apple Crisp

I am so excited that Autumn is here! You can smell it in the air. Fall brings tons of fun things to do with your family: watch football, pick apples, decorate pumpkins, go on a hay ride, etc. We love this season in our house. One of my favorite things about fall is the yummy recipes that represent fall. I tried a new Apple Crisp recipe that I had found in my Paula Deen magazine. It was delicious. I left it baking in the oven and went outside. My husband came out with sneaky look in his eye and said a little mouse had eaten part of the apple crisp in the oven (you will notice the part missing on the side of the dish). His comment was that it was one of the best apple crisps he's ever had. I am definitely putting this recipe in the make again soon pile.

Apple Crisp
Makes 4 servings (we stretched it to at least 6)

3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 large Braeburn (I used Fuji) apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice (I didn't have this so I used 2 shakes ground ginger, 2 shakes nutmeg, 2 shakes ground cloves)
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans and it gave it great flavor)
1/4 cup butter, cut into pats

1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray an 8x8 (I used 7x11) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and apple pie spice.
3. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, walnuts, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Pour apple mixture into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle oat mixture over apples. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Enjoy with by itself or with vanilla icecream.

No comments:

Post a Comment